This tasty little recipe might seem daunting upon first glance, but the steps are actually very simple, and the result is amazing breadcrumby, saucy, delicious broccoli and tofu covered in a sticky, savory/sweet sauce, served over fluffy rice. Don’t be intimidated, you know I don’t do difficult! Enjoy.
1 cup jasmine/wild/white rice
2 cups water
2 Heads broccoli, cut into florets
1 cup Non-dairy milk, I used Oat Milk
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup hot chili sauce/sriracha
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper
For the Tofu
1 package firm tofu, drained and pressed, then cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup hot chili sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 Cloves Garlic, sliced thin
1 tbsp brown sugar
Salt & Pepper
1. Cook Rice According to Package Directions, set aside once finished cooking.
2. Preheat Oven to 425 f.
3. Cut broccoli into florets and set aside. Address your tofu, drain packaging, then wrap in a paper towel or two, allow to drain further. Get as much water out of it as you can.
4. In a bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together milk and vinegar. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Pour milk mixture into flour and stir to combine until lumps are gone.
6. In separate large bowl, add breadcrumbs.
7. Add broccoli florets to the mixing bowl, stir to cover florets in batter. Individually remove half the broccoli florets with a fork, trying not to take much batter, place in breadcrumb bowl. Shake or stir vigorously until well coated, repeat with second half of broccoli. Add more breadcrumbs if necessary.
8. In a medium glass baking dish, bake broccoli in oven 15 minutes.
9. Prepare your tofu. In remaining batter, add tofu and stir until well coated. (If there isnt enough batter add more flour and milk to what’s left in the bowl)
10. In a large skillet over medium high heat, pan fry tofu until browned evenly on all sides. About 15-20 minutes. Once all tofu is fried, add remaining tofu ingredients to skillet. Stir to combine, turn heat up to medium high and let the sauce thicken. Stir to coat several times. Lower heat and simmer in sauce about 5 minutes.
11. Make the sauce for the broccoli. Whisk all remaining broccoli sauce ingredients into a small bowl.
12. Remove broccoli from the oven, pour sauce over broccoli florets.
13. Serve up rice onto plates, top with tofu and broccoli.
Salt and pepper to taste!
Serve and Enjoy!