1 cup wild rice
2 cups hot water
7 Whole Cremini or White Mushrooms, washed and stems removed, cut into thin slices
1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced thin or chopped small
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp thyme
2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup Non-dairy milk, I used oat milk
2 cups vegetable broth
1. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring 2 cups of hot salted water to a boil. Add one cup rice. Stir and cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 18 minutes. NO STIRRING, NO PEEKING!
2. While rice is cooking, wash and destem your mushrooms, slice them thinly. (You can used pre-sliced if that’s what you have) In a large skillet over high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil, once hot add mushrooms evenly. Stir only every few minutes so they have an opportunity to brown evenly, do not overcrowd or they will steam and get chewy. This takes about 8 minutes, remove from heat onto separate plate. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add another tablespoon of oil and your onions. Salt the onions generously and cook until translucent about 5 minutes.
4. Add sliced garlic, stir and cook about 30 seconds.
5. Add flour, paprika, and thyme to the onion mixture. Stir and cook another minute.
6. Slowly pour milk into the mixture and stir until mix begins to thicken.
7. Slowly add vegetable stock. Return mushrooms to the pot.
8 Return to your rice, it should be done by now. Add rice and any remaining liquid to the soup mix, stir to combine.
10. Simmer soup over low heat for 20 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
Add salt and pepper to taste, serve and enjoy.